David Stuart Erskine, 11th Earl of Buchan
Born in 1742, he was responsible for much of the building and development work on Dryburgh Estate during the early 19th century, including the Suspension Bridge, the Orchard and its Gates, The Temple of the Muses and the Wallace Statue.
Nationally, he was a founder member of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland in 1780, and formed the 'Ednam Club' in 1791 to maintain interest in the work of James Thomson. He was also largely responsible, as the driving force behind the work, which produced 'Encyclopaedia Britannica'. He bought Dryburgh Abbey House in 1786, rescuing the remains of the Abbey from a local farmer who was using it as a useful source of dressed stone. He lived there until his death in 1829.
Back to: Dryburgh Village