Standing on the hilltop overlooking Lilliard's Edge Golf Course and Caravan Park, this unusual structure was erected as the last resting place of General Sir Thomas Monteath Douglas KCB of Stonebyres in Lanarkshire. Standing 50 feet above the surrounding hillside, and dominating the skyline, it was built in 1865-6.
Sir Thomas spent most of his army career in India, serving with the 35th Bengal Infantry for forty years.
Prior to 1851, he was Thomas Monteath, but on the death of Archibald, Duke of Douglas, he inherited the estate of Douglas Support and the name Douglas was added to his own.
Married to the only surviving daughter of Sir William Monteath Scott of Ancrum, he died on 17th October 1868, by which time his tomb was finished.
Back to Stage Two: St. Boswells to Harestanes